Job Opening: General Manager
City Opera Vancouver seeks a General Manager
CITY OPERA VANCOUVER: HIRING NOTICE
JOB OPENING: General Manager
COMPETITION PERIOD: 15 February to 31 March 2016
THE COMPANY: City Opera Vancouver is a professional chamber opera company. We specialize in new and unusual repertoire, with an emphasis on Canadian themes and artists. We commission and produce mainstage opera, give concerts throughout the year, and maintain a strong volunteer and community component.
We are now hiring our first General Manager, and seek someone able to help realize the potential of a growing company.
WEBSITE & COMPANY HISTORY: www.cityoperavancouver.com
Personal resumé and/or curriculum vitae
A brief statement of your interest in the position of General Manager
PLEASE SEND TO: Janet Lea, President / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Function as the hub of day-to-day operations, administration and management of City Opera Vancouver
- Report to the Board of Directors
- Work collaboratively with the Artistic Director
- This is a half-time position, on contract – approximately 20 (twenty) hours per week, which could be combined with a part-time position in an allied arts organization. Compensation commensurate with experience.
- With the Board and its committees, manage all aspects of the organization in accordance with its defined mission, mandate and objectives
- Attend monthly Board meetings to report on the status of ongoing projects, issues, and opportunities
- Foster development of, and liaison with, new supporters, partners, volunteers, and audience
In collaboration with the Board of Directors, Artistic Director, and volunteers, the General Manager shall be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company, including:
- General administration, operations and finance
- Production of concert and mainstage events, including collaboration with other companies and community groups, Canadian Actors’ Equity, Vancouver Musicians’ Association, UBCP, and ACTRA
- In consultation with professional design and marketing contractors, oversee marketing, publicity and communications activities
In consultation with the Chair of the Fund-raising Committee, oversee all fund-raising activities, donor data bases, bookkeeping and reporting mechanisms.
- Knowledge of theatrical production, arts marketing, fundraising techniques, and of the arts community and funding organizations
- Highly organized, with superior time-management skills
- Positive, flexible and collegial -- able to respond with humour and grace to unexpected demands or events
- Strong written and oral communication skills
City Opera Vancouver: a professional chamber opera company